What Documents Do I Need For Canadian Immigration?

There are five different ways to obtain a Canadian Permanent Resident: Express Entry, Business immigration, family class immigration, Canadian experience class, and provincial nominee programs. If your application is approved, you will receive a permanent resident card which will serve as proof that you are legally allowed to reside in Canada. 

What documentation do I need to apply for Express Entry?

To apply for express entry you will need to complete an online profile. You do not need to upload any documentation when submitting a profile but you may need the information found on the following documents:

  1. Passport or travel document 
  2. Language test results 
  3. Education credential assessment report IF
    1. You are applying through the Federal Skilled Workers program OR 
    2. You  want to earn points for education completed outside of the US
  4. Provincial nomination (if you have) 
  5. Job offer (if you have) 

The information provided will be used to create a CRS score which will then be used in Express Entry drawings. If you are selected to apply for permanent residency, you will need to upload the documents mentioned above along with police certificates (used as proof that you do not have a criminal record), medical exams and proof of funds. 

What documentation do I need to apply for a Canada Business Visa?  

Canada has excellent opportunities for individuals that want to conduct business in Canada. There are three main types of business visas: the Start-up Visa program and the Self-Employed Persons program. 

The Startup Visa program is aimed at immigrant entrepreneurs who will help create jobs in Canada and compete well in the global economy. If you are interested in living in Quebec, it has its own specific application.  In order to apply for the Start-up visa, you will need: 

  1. Biometrics- these include your fingerprints and photo 
  2. Passport and travel documents 
  3. Proof of language proficiency 
  4. Letter of support 
  5. Birth certificate 
  6. Children’s Information (if applicable) 
  7. Police Certificate (this ensures that you do not have a criminal record) 
  8. 2 passport-sized photos

Quebec Entrepreneur Program is similar to the Start-up visa program and allows individuals to immigrate to Quebec in order to start a business. In order to apply, you will need the following documentation: 

  1. A financial self-sufficiency contract 
  2. Your level of education
  3. Language skills 
  4. Any stays in Quebec or family members living in the province 
  5. Net assets, along with proof of their origin 
  6. Proof of deposits 
  7. Business plan 

In order to apply for the Self-employed persons program you must be able to make a significant contribution to Canada’s culture or you must be able to purchase and manage a farm in Canada. You will need to provide the following documentation in order to apply for this visa: 

  1. Biometrics – fingerprints, and photo 
  2. Two passport photos of the applicant 
  3. Police reports (to ensure that you do not have a criminal past) 
  4. Relevant experience 
  5. Language proficiency test results 
  6. Proof of your education credentials 

What documentation do I need to apply for a Family Class Sponsorship? 

This type of immigration is designed to help keep families together. A Canadian permanent resident or citizen may apply to sponsor a family member to move to Canada. For this type of application, the sponsor must provide documentation that they meet the requirements of eligibility to sponsor someone to Canada. The sponsor must show with documentation that they: 

  1. Can financially support the family member they are sponsoring
  2. Live in Canada 
  3. Are at least 18 years old 
  4. Not incarcerated or charged with any serious offenses 
  5. Not bankrupt 
  6. Not under a removal order 

What documentation do I need to apply for the Canadian Experience Class?

This type of visa aims to help temporary foreign workers and foreign students use their work experience and education towards their application for residency. This type of visa requires that you have worked in Canada prior to your application. You will need to have proof of the following in order to apply for this visa: 

  1. Plan to live in a province that is not Quebec 
  2. 12 months of skilled work experience in Canada
  3. Proof of language skills 

What documentation do I need to apply for a Provincial Nominee Program? 

There are two different streams for Provincial Nominee Programs: paper-based process or Express Entry. If you apply for the Express Entry stream, your documentation will be the same as that listed for Express Entry. If you decide to apply for the paper stream you will need the following information: 

  1. Proof of nomination by a province 
  2. Medical exam certificate 
  3. Police exam certificate (to ensure that you do not have a criminal record) 
  4. Documentation showing you meet the specific requirements of the province you were nominated by